THE CURSE OF NYARLATHOTEP

My name is Doctor Daniel Rumanos. I am a private investigator who specializes in cases the police will not touch and the newspapers cannot explain. They call me when the shadows start moving on their own, when the dead whisper through telephone wires, or when something ancient decides it is tired of staying buried. I keep an office above a shuttered bookstore in the city's Mount Vernon district, where the lamps still flicker like they remember the nineteenth century. My clients pay in cash or favors -- never questions. That is how I like it.

It started with a phone call at three in the morning. The voice on the other end belonged to Dr. Evelyn Hart, curator of Egyptian antiquities at the Walters Art Museum. She sounded like a woman who had just watched her entire worldview crack open.

“Dr. Rumanos,” she said, “the mummy is moving.”

I arrived at the museum before dawn, my suit jacket heavy with the weight of a golden mezuzah and a small obsidian scarab I had taken from a dead cultist in Prague. Dr. Hart met me at the service entrance, her face pale under the fluorescent lights. She was in her forties, sharp-featured, the kind of academic who had spent her life cataloging the past only to discover the past was cataloging her back.

“It’s the new acquisition,” she explained as we walked the marble halls. “Priest-King Khephren-Nyar, discovered last year in a sealed chamber beneath the Step Pyramid of Djoser. The hieroglyphs called him ‘the Voice of the Crawling Chaos.’ We thought it was poetic exaggeration. The sarcophagus arrived three days ago. Last night… the bandages shifted. On camera.”

We reached the Egyptian wing. The gallery was dark except for a single spotlight trained on the central dais. There it lay: a seven-foot figure wrapped in ancient linen stained the color of dried blood. The face had been left partially exposed -- leathery skin stretched tight over high cheekbones, eyes long since replaced by obsidian orbs that seemed to drink the light. A golden ankh rested on its chest, but the symbol had been defaced by a crude etching of a tentacled face with three blazing eyes.

Nyarlathotep. The Crawling Chaos. The Black Pharaoh. I had read the name in forbidden books and heard it screamed in nightmares. He does not need temples or sacrifices. He needs only a door.

“Has anyone touched the wrappings?” I asked.

“Only the conservation team. They used modern tools -- nothing that should have...”

A low, wet sound came from inside the sarcophagus. Like laughter filtered through centuries of sand.

I stepped closer. The air grew thick, smelling of natron and ozone. My scarab talisman grew warm against my ribs. “Dr. Hart, I need you to leave the building. Now. And whatever you do, do not look back.”

She hesitated. Academics always do. “This is my exhibit...”

“Then it is already too late for you.”

That was when the lights died.

The emergency generators kicked in with a groan, bathing the hall in sickly red. The mummy sat up.

Bandages tore with the sound of old parchment ripping. Desiccated fingers flexed, revealing black claws that had not been there a moment before. The obsidian eyes flared with inner fire — green, then violet, then a color that had no name in any human tongue. Khephren-Nyar rose to his full height, towering over us both. The ankh on his chest pulsed like a second heart.

“Rumanos,” the thing rasped. Its voice was layered — human, insectile, and something vast that echoed from between stars. “The sorcerer who denies the Outer Ones. Nyarlathotep sends his regards.”

Dr. Hart screamed. I shoved her toward the exit and took out my mezuzah. The first golden ray struck the mummy’s shoulder. Linen ignited, but the creature only laughed harder. It lunged, faster than anything that size had a right to be. I dove behind a display case of canopic jars as claws raked marble, gouging furrows deep enough to bury a man.

I had faced vampires in Prague and werewolves in the Appalachians, but this was different. This was not undeath. This was possession. Nyarlathotep had waited millennia inside that corpse, using the priest’s remains as a glove. The god of a thousand forms had chosen the simplest one tonight: terror wrapped in linen.

The mummy smashed through the case. Shards of glass rained like diamonds. I rolled, came up firing. Two more shots. One caught it in the knee; the leg buckled but did not fall. It kept coming, dragging the ruined limb behind it like a broken promise.

“You cannot kill what Chaos wears,” it hissed. “Your world is already dreaming.”

I backed toward the far wall, where the museum’s emergency ritual kit -- my own design -- hung behind a false panel. I had installed it months ago after a close call with a shoggoth in the sewers. My fingers found the latch. Inside: a vial of holy water blessed under a blood moon, a copy of the Necronomicon’s protective verses handwritten on vellum, and the one thing I hoped would work -- an iron ankh forged from meteorite iron, inscribed with the Elder Sign.

The mummy’s claws closed around my throat. Its breath was the grave and the void. Up close, I saw the truth: the bandages were not merely wrappings anymore. They writhed like living tentacles, tiny mouths opening and closing along the fibers. Nyarlathotep was enjoying this.

I jammed the meteorite ankh against the creature’s forehead.

The effect was immediate. A sound like every church bell in hell rang backward. The mummy convulsed. Green fire erupted from its eye sockets. The voice of Nyarlathotep roared through it -- mocking, ancient, amused.

“Foolish slave. I am legion. I will return in dreams. In every mirror. In the space between your heartbeats—”

The body collapsed. Linen crumbled to dust. The obsidian eyes shattered like cheap glass. What remained was a pile of bones and rags that smelled of ozone and forgotten tombs.

Dr. Hart found me twenty minutes later, sitting among the wreckage, repeating the Shema prayer. The police were coming. I already had a story prepared -- gas leak, structural failure, the usual lies.

She stared at the empty sarcophagus. “Is it over?”

“No,” I said. “Nyarlathotep does not die. He just changes the channel. But tonight, at least, the mummy stays dead.”

I stood, brushed dust from my jacket, and handed her the meteorite ankh. “Keep this. Melt it down if you have to. And next time you dig up something that whispers, call me before you open the box.”

Outside, dawn was breaking over the city. The fog had lifted. Somewhere in the distance, a siren wailed -- normal, human trouble. I walked into it anyway. The Crawling Chaos would be back. They always are. But for now, the curse was broken, and I had a box of cigars and a bottle of vodka waiting in my desk drawer.

That is the job. Some mysteries end with violence. Others end with an ankh and a prayer. Most of them never really end at all.

I headed home. The city smelled like rain and secrets, and I figured that was about right.

***** DANIEL RUMANOS MYSTERIES *****